1516 Downtown Blvd "The Men of Steel!"
The firehouse located at 1516 Downtown Blvd in Downtown Jakeland was constructed in 1983 and was designated as the Headquarters for the Jakeland Fire Dept. until the Eagle Ave firehouse was opened. It houses Engine 5, Ladder 3 and Battalion 1.
"The Men of Steel!"
Engine 5 and Ladder 3 are stablemates at 1516 Downtown Blvd and are known as "The Men of Steel!". This nickname stuck due to most of the buildings in their district are steel hi-rises. "The Men of Steel!" have seen action all across the city over the years they have been in service. The most famous incidents they have seen inside their district are the East Coast Bank Building Fire (6 Alarms, 10/11/1984), the New Jersey Ave Fire (7 Alarms, 11/25/1991) and the St Marks Church Fire (5 Alarms, 9/7/1999).
Engine Company 5
Engine Company 5 was established on November 16, 1983. They currently operate a 2010 American La France Eagle (originally assigned to Engine 6). This is Engine Company 5's fourth engine. Engine 5's district is mostly hi-rises, so it is equipped with a 2,000 GPM pump and a 750 gallon tank. The equipment that Engine 5 carries on board is the standard engine company equipment (axes, halligans, flashlights, nozzles, attack hoses, supply hose, etc) Engine 5 was the busiest engine in the city in 1986, 1996, 2001 and 2003.
Ladder Company 3 "Faster than Truck 1!"
Ladder Company 3 was established on November 16, 1983. They currently operate a 2012 Seagrave tractor drawn aerial (TDA) equipped with a 100' ladder. This is the fourth TDA to see service as Ladder 3. Ladder 3 carries the standard truck company equipment and also equipment used for hi-rise incidents. Ladder 3 was the busiest ladder in the city in 1985, 1987, 1993, 2002 and 2004.
Battalion 1 was established on November 16, 1983. They currently operate a 2015 Ford Explorer. Battalion 1 covers the south side of Jakeland with Engines 1, 2, 4, 5, 15, Tower Ladder 1, Ladder 3, Ladder 7 and Squad 10. (Credit for the 5 wide Ford Explorer design goes to Sven).